Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What really happened?


Welcome to the blog.  The purpose of this site is to provide a place for discussing the tragic plane crash in Butte, Montana, on Sunday, March 22, 2009.  A lot of erroneous information has been floating around, and hopefully, this blog, set up by the Pullen family, can help to cut through some of the fog.  So here goes . . .

The trip was planned as a ski vacation to the Big Sky Ski Resort in Bozeman, Montana.  The plane  left Redlands, California, then flew to Vacaville, California, picking up Michael and Vanessa Pullen, their children Sydney and Christopher; Erin and Amy Jacobson, and their children Taylor, Ava, and Jude.  From there the flight headed to Oroville, California, where Brent and Kristen Ching boarded along with their kids, Hailey and Caleb.  Kristen was expecting their third child.

The plane was refueled, and the kids all got off en masse to use the bathroom.  One airport employee commented that they were the cutest kids he ever saw.  The plane took off, heading for its final destination of Bozeman, Montana.  This is where the details become unclear.  When about 100 miles from Bozeman, the pilot deviated from his flight plan, heading for Butte, for reasons unknown.

Witnesses on the ground in Butte saw the plane approaching at a low altitude over the Butte cemetery heading for the Butte Airport runway.  Then suddenly, 500 feet from the runway, and 500 feet in the air, the plane banked left, and nose-dived into the cemetery.  All aboard were killed instantly from the impact of the crash, and most of the bodies were thrown free of the wreckage.  The plane then burst into a ball of fire.  The sheriff said that on his arrival there was a crater in the ground about five feet deep, and at that point there was nothing he could do except drag bodies away from the wreckage.  The pilot and Michael Pullen were the only ones remaining in the plane.  Michael was in the copilot seat, and was only removed at noon today.

News reports initially claimed that the plane was overloaded, but there were only seven children and seven adults aboard.  The total weight of the seven children was only around 200 pounds, the equivalent of one adult, so the true weight of the passengers was really only equivalent to eight adults, well within the plane's rated capacity.  The pilot,  Bud Summerfield, was a Viet Nam veteran pilot, approximately 65 years old, with thousands of hours of flying experience.  Today, (Tuesday, March 24) NTSB officials proposed the possibility that the crash may have been caused by icing on the wings of the plane.

Funeral arrangements for the Pullens are tentatively planned for Friday, April 3, in the Galt/Lodi area, the final location, yet to be determined, probably around 11:00 AM.  The Pullen family strongly desire that donations be given to either the Galt Seventh-day Adventist Christian School, or the Lodi Seventh-day Adventist Elementary School   in lieu of flowers or memorials.  The Pullens are extremely supportive of Adventist education, and would like to feel that your generosity would help it to continue in these difficult financial times.

18 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and fun family -- they will be missed!

    There has also been a fund set up "The Michael Pullen Family Memorial Fund" Checks can be sent to: Pullen Memorial PO Box 314 Lodi CA 95241.

    The gifts given will go to assist in the operational expenses for both the Galt and Lodi SDA Elementary schools where many happy memories were made for their family. This is another way that their love for God, learning and service can live on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon and I are so sorry for your loss. All the families affected by this tragedy are in our thoughts and prayers. We will miss all the families on the plane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The magnitude of this tragedy is unfathomable. All families involved will be truly missed as I know each one of them played important roles in the life that we have all lived. My heart goes out to all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are all so sorry for this tragic loss to your family. We love you all and you are in our prayers. All those who we recently lost will be missed tremendously and we look forward to being together in Heaven soon.

    We love you all,
    The Hopkins & Breitmaier family

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am devastated by the news. Vanessa was a member of our Moms in Motion team. She will be greatly missed.
    On March 29th, our Moms in Motion team will be running the Nutrition Fuels Fitness 5k at Elk Grove Park in memory of Vanessa & her family. (this was the 5k she was training for) All funds that we raised will be donated in her honor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for the loss of these families. You are all in our prayers here at the Peachtree City SDA church in Peachtree City, Georgia. May Jesus come soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is truly a huge loss. Dr. Vanessa Pullen was my girls pediatrician and she was the most caring, devoted, and funny pediatrician in town. I will miss her always! The office will not be the same! She was a very caring and understanding Dr. XO She and her family will be miss so very much!

    With much love,
    The Quigleys
    Jamie, Troy, Jacey 4, Teagan 2.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for such a deep loss. I join you in prayer.
    Dolly
    Brooklyn NY

    ReplyDelete
  9. The families will be missed.
    I graduated with Mike, and my kids attend the same school.
    Thank you for starting a blog, it could not have been easy. I hope you are able to feel the love that is pouring out to your family. Your in our prayers.
    The Begley's
    Classes of 1988 & 1985

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Michael. He called my wife "mom" I knew Michael from the day he was born and I feel that I knew him at the last moment of his life. I have flown in that plane with the same pilot and in the co pilots seat where Michael was seated. I also was born and raised in Butte, Montana ( the city where the accident occured). I learned to drive in that cemetery with my Dad. His philosophy was no traffic, no people to hit. Little did I know that 50 yrs later my friend would end his life there. Michael Pullen was a very close friend with my son Michael. The two of them were quiet are pair. I feel like I have lost a son.
    Carl Rosich D.D.S

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a family friend of the Mautz family, schoolmate of Kristen, her brother Jeff, and in 8th grade at PAA (PAS) while Brent was a senior there, I have more than a few ties to that family. I helped Rick Mautz install the 100' Adventist Radio antenna at PAA that sends the Msg to the Paradise community from behind the old science building. Currently in Chicago, I am coordinating a vigil here in Hinsdale to coincide with the one planned in Paradise for tomorrow night. Donations to the the family's respective home schools makes sense, but for those who want to get a receipt for their donation, does anyone know if "The Pullen Memorial" will send something back? I'd like to provide those tomorrow night with as much information as possible. Thank you, to those who are close to the families, for keeping those of use who want to pray and share and contribute, while respecting their privacy, in the loop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our Hearts and Prayers are with you all during this difficult time. Dr. Vanessa Pullen was my daughter Emma's Dr...We always felt so safe knowing that our daughters care was in her hands. She had a wonderfully calming nature and always made us feel right at home. When we would see her and her family around town she always treated us like we were friends. She was truly blessed and we feel blessed to have known her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lynne and I are so sorry for your devastating loss. As a pilot-having flown a Pilatus I have followed the NTSB investigation intensely. Some accidents are very difficult to reconstruct, this may be one of them. I have spoken with one of the NTSB team and truly believe that neither a weight and balance or icing condition were contributing factors. Just want the families to know that we can't even imagine your devastation but know that we care and are remembering you daily in our prayers. Our hugz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our hearts and prayers are with you and your families during this very difficult time. It is so wonderful to know that our Maker is coming again and we will no longer have to suffer loss such as you all have suffered this week. We in Atlanta, GA are praying for you all and look forward to that blessed hope of meeting alongside Jesus the Pullens, Jacobsons and Chings on resurrection morning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dr. Pullen was an amazing woman and doctor. She helped us in the process of dealing with our son Chase's diagnoses of Juneville Rheumotoid Arthritis. She would call just to check in with us and see how we were all doing. She was lovely and we are all going to miss her. My family will continue to pray for all those effected by this terrible tragedy. I only pray that Vanessa knew how much she was adored and appreciated.

    The Isbell Family
    Don, Cheryl, Dustin & Chase
    Elk Grove, CA

    ReplyDelete
  16. She was my son and daughter's doctor.She was a wonderful person,who always made you feel at ease. We are very saddend of this tragic loss.We will miss her very much.I just found out it had been her and her family when I called the office the day of the funeral. When I looked up on line I was shocked and horrified to find out she and her family were the ones that died in the plane crash. I cried all night about it, and thought to myself that life is precious and you never know what will happen from one day to the next. I am very sorry for the families loss, and everyone that knew them.

    Sean, Teresa, Aj,and Ally Spiva

    ReplyDelete
  17. I worked with Dr Pullen's office and all the times I seen him, he was always cheerful and smiling. I have learned more about him now, then I knew before. He will be greatly missed, his staff is forever affected from this horrific loss of life. My prayers go out to the families and forever know all those in that plane will be kept alive with just the love folks have for them all. Bless those babies onboard...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was mikes assistant at DuHamel and Pullen Family Dentistry. I remember the friday before the accident I was getting ready to leave work and I was in a hurry. I was just gonna run out the door but I thought to myself "no, I better go say bye to mike because I wont see him for a week because we were going to be on vacation the whole next week" so I ran back and said bye to him. I am so glad that I did. I feel like Im never going to get over this, everyday I go to work now is a reminder of what happened. It is so hard for me to be there. He was the best boss I could ever ask for. The office will never be the same without him. I just miss him so much.

    ReplyDelete